Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Babbling Heads

Austin Page

English

Babbling Heads


The Professors at bloggingheads.com really seemed to believe they were on to something when they discussed the terms "Leader" and "Thinker." 

However, from the beginning of their discussion, I felt as though the terminology wasn't the best; as both leader and thinker sound somewhat empty and don't exactly seem to apply the meanings they were assigned.


For example, Professor Deresiewicz explains a leader as one who is influenced by the university to be successful, and to end up supporting and donating back to the school. However, this term is then compared to those who are "thinkers." Thinkers are supposedly those who are more critical of the school, trying to find flaws to improve upon. I don't believe either of these terms fit their respective definition. For one, in an attempt to "redefine" familiar words, they make a leader into something negative - A product of manufactured students. A leader should be someone who people will follow; a role model to look up to and follow. Their definition in no way relates to how a leader is usually defined. Perhaps using the word do-gooder or profiteer would better suit the definition.


"Thinker" on the other hand is a closer fit, but certainly still far too narrow. is this to say that if someone uses either mind to think, it can only mean that they[re a cynic, hoping to point out every noticable flaw? Of course not. 


This brings me to another point. The Professors discuss these two traits as if students can only be one of these terms. Who is to say any of this is true at all? These professors essentially just made up some terms, assigned their own meaning to them and had a 15 minute discussion about them. I agree somewhat that universities generate a certain amount of followers and cynics, (titles I feel are more appropriate) but by no means is every student either one or the other.


One might assume to the pessimistic tone of this response that I am a cynic or thinker, myself. This may be true. But I don't want to be defined by some random professor. I like to think I'm more than just a leader, or just a thinker. Universities should strive to produce hybrid students. Students who can appreciate and support their schools, while still critiquing it and taking action to voice their opinions and make it better. After all, a university's purpose is to teach students the skills necessary to make a living. So students should be the ones giving the input. 


As for "Big questions" why should anyone expect to have them answered at school? Who is the school to say that they have the answers? People should go to school to learn how to perform tasks well, not how find meaning in life. That's what religion and friendships are for. 

7 comments:

Austin Page said...

...I'm probably going to rewrite this all together.

I'll be honest though, I'm totally uninspired by this video prompt.

Austin Page said...

anyone else agree?

Nick Longley said...

Good opening idea, though I think you devote too little time to defining what a thinker is. "This brings me to another point" is a little awkward. You make a good point critically critiquing the actual video, which I didn't see a lot of people (myself included) do, so kudos on that. I don't think you can assume TO something as you state in the beginning of your second to last paragraph, but I could be wrong. The 2 sentences after that should be combined.

I feel your conclusion is weak because what the professors are talking about is that universities and colleges USED to be life-finding institutions, but now they just pump out workers in various professions. That's what I think at least.

Nick Longley said...

And it was a good read, by the way.

Jesslyn said...

I really liked your essay. i think you really nail what a leader and thinker is right on and how the professors definition is very vague. But i do not like the conclusion because it does not fit with anything you said in the essay. its a brand new idea it self.

Jesslyn said...

o ya in the third paragraph you spelling mistake. it says they[re. (just pointing it out incase you didn't see it) :)

Austin Page said...

in response to what nick said,

Yea I agree that the tone of their video was that universities used to make life-finding thinkers and now they produce leaders, but I think the question of whether or not the school should be responsible for answering big questions still existed. So that was what I was attempting to address, although I do realize that it didn't belong at the end of my essay instead of a proper conclusion.