Friday, September 5, 2008

The "N" Word

For years, one word has plagued our society, segregating America.  This word has oppressed an entire race.  The term cultivates hatred amongst its users, and can even inspire them to the point of violence against those tagged with the derogatory word.  It's infected our culture, our media, our minds,  and I guarantee that you have used it, yourself.  I am, of course, talking about the infamous "N" Word.


Nerd.


My dad ruined any chance I had at a social life when I was six.  He taught me how to add double digit numbers.


Mrs. Percy, our first grade home room teacher stood at the front of the class, reviewing basic subtraction, while I was sneaking peeks at the last few chapters of our math book.


We weren't supposed to look ahead, so I would lift the corners of pages the slightest bit, and by subtly lying my head on the table and peering into the crack between the pages, I could make out a few words.  No one suspected a thing.    


"No one wants to guess how to add 15 + 8?" Mrs. Percy asked.


My hand had already shot up into the air, eager to share my newly acquired skill of double digit addition.  I was sitting in the front, but just in case she couldn't see me, I got up and knelt on the chair while waving my hand so I was a little more visible.  I also noticed it helped if I held my breath.


"Jordan, how about you?  Come on up to the board."


I reached the board, grabbed a piece of chalk, and systematically completed the problem.  5 + 8 = 13, 3, carry the 1, 1 + 1 = 2, 23.  Ta-da.  I remember getting really excited when I had the privilege of carrying the one and placing a fresh "1" above the ten's place.  It was like a friend had just come out to play.  "Oh, hello, number one.  Do you want to be added, too?"


If I had any friends, I would have shared my new found game with them.


I turned around and looked at the class, expecting a few cheers, a few high fives. Maybe I'd get to be captain for kickball during recess.


On my way back to my seat, I noticed everyone watching me; I felt so proud.  Then as I passed Frankie, my personal bully, he sneered and uttered "Nerd," under his breath.


It hit me hard like the first time you watch The Empire Strikes Back and Vader says "Luke, I am your father," (Spoiler Alert).  Suddenly, I could see it in every body's eyes:  they were glaring at me just like Frankie.  And that's when I realized: I was a nerd.


Thanks, Dad.


The human race has had a bad past of oppression, all of which get their fair amount of press and colorful rubber wrist bands, but what about nerd oppression?


The actual definition of "nerd" is widely disputed, partially because it's so McCarthyistically applied to anyone who seems different.  The word "nerd" originally appeared in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo in 1950, however, a 1951 Newsweek article points to the use of "nerd" as a slang substitute for "square" in Detroit, Michigan.  It wasn't until the 1970's and the Fonz that the word "nerd" picked up its modern-day negative scholarly connotations and hit mainstream usage.



The original Nerd - If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss


Being a “nerd” is kind of like being a leper.  Try as you might to join the ranks of normal society again, it's a futile attempt, as it’s clear no one wants you.  Contrary to popular belief, it's not contagious, but people still keep their distance, just in case.  You live on your own.  If you're lucky, you'll meet other similarly afflicted people in quarantine, if they're not trying to avoid you as well.


Oh, and sometimes people throw stones at you.


As a nerd, by definition, you have no hope of making friends with normal people.  So you’ll have to identify other nerds to hang out with.  Here’s a handy field guide, for on-the-go identification.  


Unfortunately, nerdism is a self-perpetuating cycle.  No one wants to hang out with a nerd, lest they be deemed a N.B.A. (Nerd by Association).  Once you’re declared a nerd by your peers because they think you’re weird and undesirable to socialize with, they’ll avoid you even more because your title only makes your social undesirability official.


If you aren’t deemed a nerd because of your underdeveloped social skills, you’ll have little opportunity to improve them, anyway.  Nerds rarely gather enough practice with social interactions in their earlier years to function and interact with others normally, which only earns them more nerdiness.  The best you can do is hang out with other awkward nerds while comparing the application of Newtonian physics across Star Wars, Star Trek, and Battlestar GalacticaHint: Pick Battlestar.


Besides being socially restricted to a small corner, even interactions outside the nerd realm can be oppressive.  Nerds usually serve as a verbal punching bag (and sometimes physical) for people to warm up on, testing a few well placed insults before they have to deal with more formidable foes.  It does however act as a warning system for nerds so that they stay safely within the nerd herd.


As a nerd, you’re stuck in an oppressive infinite loop.  But there is only one way out. You have to accept your nerddom.


Recently, Nerds everywhere have stood up and embraced their Nerd Pride, the Reclamation of Nerddom.  Nerds grow into adults, and realize that nerddom, and even geekdom, have their own counterculture.  All of a sudden, it’s cool to be a nerd.


With the rise of the computer age, nerds like Bill Gates are becoming forces to be reckoned with.  Comic-book nerds like Zack Snyder make the movies you see (300, Watchmen), literature nerds write the blogs you read, and nerds of all types create the music you listen to (Nirvana, Weezer, Vampire Weekend); new genres of music have even been created for nerds by nerds, including “nerdcore” and "geeksta rap."  


Save your comic books, show off your action figures with pride, and enjoy being a nerd.  Chances are you’ll end up the founder of a successful start up company that collects historic action figures (museums are going to need them sometime!) or you’ll “make it so” with the next Star Trek inspired gadget (the cell phone, the bluetooth headset, the touch screen).


Few people realize nerds rule the world and the geek shall inherit the earth.


So to all you nerds out there, the oppression doesn’t last long.  It only makes you stronger.  Don’t worry about that weekly 3 o’clock appointment in the parking lot with a quarterback’s fist; he’ll be working for you in five years.







14 comments:

Logan Merriam said...

Your writing style naturally works with blogs. I'm a little jealous because your essays make it seem so easy.

Alex Solano said...

I think your voice in this essay is exaggerated and a little sarcastic.

Jesslyn said...

I think your voice seems passive- aggressive

Eric Robbins said...

I think your voice in this essay is sarcastic.

AmandaVo said...

sarcastic and just chill

Sadie Upwall said...

i'm going to go with sarcastic on this one.

Nick Longley said...

As a nerd I can vouch that this essay is 100% accurate and without error. I recently had to install some plexiglass plating over my dorm's windows to help prevent the constant stream of rocks being thrown at it from hitting my already pale, rock-bruised body.

It was a really good read, I'd say it's clearly the all-star of the group of essays. I didn't notice any errors at all. I think you got stuck with a voice that fit you perfectly.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, though...I don't want to go with the crowd and say sarcastic, because that's not the vibe I get. I want to go with...hyperbolic? I doubt that's what it said on your card, though. Exaggeration...? I dunno, man. It's so natural that I can't tell. Something to do with exaggeration or hyperbole, I hope.

KaSondra Carver said...

hey your article was very interesting. My dad was the same way...He told me all about his stories and I can see how it is from your point of view. I would say that your voice you used would probably be sarcastic.

Charlotte Medlock said...

Great use of hyperlinks! You have a very comical and witty voice.

Dave Soltes said...

I'm not sure what the voice was supposed to be but the essay was great. If I had to guess I would say maybe humorous? Someone else threw hyperbole out there too, definitely some of that, especially the thing with the rocks.

Austin Page said...

Was your voice, a 'good writer?'

Nice essay.

also, I specifically didn't notice any spelling errors or dead metaphors. Way to make up your own!

Pauline Slakey said...

i think the voice is funny. Similar to a comedian when explaining a childhood experience and then expanding upon it in a humorous way.

jordanraabe said...

I am the author.

Thanks for the comments on my esasy, I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Pauline is the only person who got it right on the money; "funny" is correct.

Pretty general. I know. A lot of people said sarcastic, which could be funny, but that's not exactly correct. I wasn't exactly mocking a young nerd's plight or being ironic. I might have taken an overly serious tone to a seemingly trivial issue, but I ensure you, nerd oppression is a very serious issue!

professorjfox said...

Just as a humor note, you should set up the “n” word farther back in paragraph one, so the reader has more time to think about it before you surprise them with the reversal of nerd. But that’s just a thing about comedic timing (which might have a lot to teach us about writing, actually.)

This is so nerdily funny, it’s ridiculous.

Great job with the photo. It’s relevant, from a great source, and probably drew much more attention to your post (lots of comments!).

Technically, spoiler alerts always come before the reveal, not after.

The anecdote takes up slightly too much space in the essay, but this is easily forgiven because it’s just so funny. You have a very strong strorytelling ability.

Yes, make up a word (McCarthyistically) and link to appropriate reference, good.

This is a bit off topic. You tackle nerds as a group overall, and talk about their oppression, but don’t really involve language in it. In other words, you’re answering: Why is a certain group oppressed, rather than How does language oppress this group?

What! I’m a literature nerd! Okay, okay. I’ll take it. But sci-fi writers are way more nerdy.

Very good ending. It’s punchy and closes up an essay about nerd oppression with the Rise of the Nerd. But I do think this essay starts rather far back arguing that Nerds rule. Very little space is devoted between the anecdote and the Nerds Rule section to the actual oppression, and very little attention is given to language itself.

I think you have strong writing skills and that these will pay off in future, more typical, writing assignments.