Friday, September 5, 2008

Oppressive Language

Why do black people always smell so bad? So blind people can hate them too.  Bet you thought that was funny, right?  Well this is the type of crap we all tend to hear every single day. Oppressive language is constantly around us, like a swarm of flies around your face.  Some find it extremely offensive others know it’s just a joke and not true.   My mom always told me “ Sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never hurt you.”  I still agree with that statement to this day, and feel most of society feel the same way.  We here the degrading jokes and statements, but people don’t believe them and people don’t take as much offense to them.  Although commonly used, oppressive language has only had mild affects on social circles. 

Oppressive language is so widely used because of the media.  I’m pretty sure the blockheaded media knows by now that people will copy whatever they say or do.  Yet, they continue to spit out movies such as Superbad, College, Pineapple Express, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Knock Up, which are all great influences on the youth of America. “Well I’m going to State where the girls twice as hot and twice as likely to flesh me”- Superbad.  How many times have you heard people recite this quote? I would have to say it sort of degrading teenage girls, especially those going to a state school. Another beneficiary to the oppressive language of society is the music industry, particularly the rap music industry.  Thanks to the profound and insightful lyrics of current rap music, my friends and I always find ourselves saying “nigga.” We call everyone and each other “nigga”, even if they are not African American.  Besides the word “nigga” ,I also love a rap songs  that talk about pimps, hoes, strippers, sluts, prostitutes, girls shaking their “big” booties and girls licking “lollipops”.  Teaching the youth of America at a young age is always great.  I mean if they have the word “ass” in the PG movie Shrek, might as well teach them more great words. It seems that the vulgar and demeaning language has only intergraded itself into everyday language, but has become part of our culture. One again, in the end language is merely a bunch of words and only words.

 

Oppressive language only affects social circles if people let it. It is only offensive if the oppressor truly believes in what they are saying and if the one being oppressed takes it to heart.  I have African American friends, and when I use the word “nigga” they know I’m only messing around.  Vice versa if my friend tells a joke on how cheap Jewish people are, yes we may laugh but my friends and I don’t truly believe all Jewish people are cheap.  Even if I watch a South Park episode on how all Catholic priests are sick child pedophiles or a Simpson’s episode on how all bums are dirty and evil doesn’t mean I will believe it.  I know they are just using it for twisted entertainment.

 

There are some people truly believe the non-sense they do say.  I see those people as extremists or gang members.  If you sincerely despise African Americans you are probably a member of the Ku Klux Klan, or might as well be.  If you truly hate Jewish people, you are probably a member of a Nazi White Supremacy Club. Gangs are generally grouped by culture or race, so that can be a circumstance as well. There are plenty insane extreme dangerous people in the world.  So if you hangout with one of them likes, oppressive language could be an issue in your social circle and I recommend you find a new one.  Generally most people are extremists, but rather joke around. On the other spectrum some people could see discriminating jokes or comments as offensive. Yes, racism still plenty exists. Yet I find when talking with people who same something crude, they are only joking, so lighten up.

 

Language can be a powerful weapon, but it is only as powerful as people let it. Hitler’s speech moved whole a whole nation into starting a world war and genocide.  George W. Bush’s speech gets made fun of on the Late Show. As for oppressive language, I don’t find it that powerful in today’s social circles. I find people don’t take it as offensive any more because it has become part of the American culture and is so widely used.  Yet, I still don’t recommend shouting racial slurs and telling stereotypical jokes to everyone you see.

10 comments:

Nick Longley said...

"blockhead", "crap", some other words that have a feeling of anger with them, I'm gonna have to say that the voice you're using is...annoyed? MAYBE angry? Perhaps...disgusted?

Some minor grammar errors here and there, but overall it was a good read.

Dave Soltes said...

I think it seems bitter if I had to pick a word.

Also, typo in the second to last paragraph. "Same" instead of what I'm guessing was supposed to be "say".

Austin Page said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin Page said...

Yea, maybe bitter, or wild card? I didn't really sense a super strong character, but I was distracted by more than a few spelling and grammar mistakes.

Sorry, I promise I'm not trying to sound like a d-bag.

jordanraabe said...

I'd say the voice is sarcastic?

Pauline Slakey said...

I think the voice is offensive. Claiming the reader is apart of the KKK was definitely what lead me to believe this.

Kyle Miyamoto said...

I am the author, the voice was bitter

Kyle Miyamoto said...

I am the author, the voice was bitter

Kyle Miyamoto said...

I am the author, the voice was bitter

professorjfox said...

Great opening (terrible joke, but good attention grabber).

Watch the details: here is hear, the superbad quote is missing a “are”, degrading is degrades, commas are always on the inside of quotes (“nigga,”),

Yes, like we talked about in class, the perspective you took (that it’s not actually that oppressive) does make it difficult to take on the mantle of bitterness.

I think media is too typical of a culprit. I’m sure bitterness can be directed at other outlets which don’t receive so much bitterness already. Also, “media” is too broadly conceived when what you really mean are the Film Studios.

“I mean if they have the word “ass” in the PG movie Shrek, might as well teach them more great words.” This partakes of sarcasm, but could contribute to bitterness as well.

“One again, in the end language is merely a bunch of words and only words.” But this conclusion seems at odd with the entire paragraph in which you complain about language. If it is oppressive, then it’s not just words, they have impacts.

I think the third paragraph from the bottom is very interesting, and you need to spend more time defending that notion. What if people are not as thick-skinned as you’d like them to be? There are some rhetorical moves you need to make (C.A.) to defend against this.

The voice slowly goes further away from bitterness, but you do nail some very specific examples of words and people who use those words, and both of those help the reader to more easily grasp your points.