Thursday, August 28, 2008

Orwell and Shit (...ty First Drafts)

I assume we're just writing one paragraph for both, because that's what the email says.

Personally, I loved both of them. They each presented really good points while maintaining a level of humor that made me laugh out loud at times. As a writer, I really appreciated the advice I found in both; Orwell's was technical, and Lamott's was more emotional, but they were equally inspiring. I've always been the type of person to write one draft of an essay and turn it in for an A, but that probably won't fly in college, so let's hope I can work on that. Some of what Orwell was talking about is so ingrained in our language at this point that I'm not even sure when or if I'm breaking his rules. I wish I could show him what language is like today so I could see his reaction, though, because I think it's hundreds of times worse. If he saw how much people overuse - and misuse - metaphors and the like, I think he'd be rolling over in his grave.

1 comment:

Logan Merriam said...

"Some of what Orwell was talking about is so ingrained in our language at this point that I'm not even sure when or if I'm breaking his rules."

Haha, that is exactly how I felt when I was writing my response.