Thursday, August 28, 2008

Response to George and Anne

The first reading from George Orwell was extremely long and boring. I had to prevent myself a few times from falling asleep. Maybe I'm the only one that had such an experience with this writing, but that's probably because I don't read serious stuff like Orwell's writing that often. Even though it was long and boring to me, it did teach me a few things. For example, we use too many big words in our current form of the English language. I never I never really thought about that before I read this essay. When you think about all the different points he makes you start to realize he may be right. The only problem is that most of it doesn't really apply to the average person today. Most people don't talk with as many big words as he uses in his examples. I may be wrong, but that's what seems apparent to me from my experiences. Also, he uses too many examples when he is talking about specific misuses of words of phrases.

The second reading from Anne Lamott was more interesting than the first one. The author put more personality into her writing. She gave experiences from her own life and went off on little entertaining tangents while still getting her point across. I enjoyed her essay and learned quite a bit that should help me in my future writing.

1 comment:

professorjfox said...

But other than the point about using too many big words, what else did you take from the reading?