Thursday, August 28, 2008

Orwell/Lammott

When reading Lammott's essay, I found myself agreeing with a lot of what she had to say. Basically, she's trying to tell us that we need to write multiple drafts to get to that one, final, pretty much perfect final copy. I think this is a really good idea, mainly because in order to write well, you need to learn how to not write well, so you can build on the *shit* that you started with. I'll admit, I hate writing multiple drafts because I get bored and figure, eh, what I originally had was good enough, but if you continually edit and fix your first draft, it'll end up being a much better version of the original. 

After I read Orwell's essay, I realized I actually do a lot of what he said is annoying and bad writing. As students, we often times overanalyze how we should or should not write, therefore we end up freaking out and doing all of these things that Orwell says is the decline of the English language. Like I did with Lammott, I agreed with with Orwell wrote, and feel that if we follow what Orwell had to say, those five, simple tips, we all could become much better writers and save this English language.

No comments: